Tuesday 23 November 2010

Chang Thai Restaurant Edinburgh - Review

Chang Thai Restuarant Edinburgh

Wandering the streets of the Royal Mile late one evening I wandered ( or was blown ) down Cockburn Street as the Scottish winter had started to creep in this week. I ducked into Craig's Close in a bid to get out away from the elements and come upon Chang Thai Restaurant.  It looked bright and it looked warmer that it was outside so I made a B-line for the door.

Without warning I stepped in and I don't know if it was a parallel universe or a black hole but I found myself back in Thailand in this amazingly quaint looking Thai restaurant. Not modern, not flashy just 100% Thai and I was greeted by a Thai waitress who's smile made me forget all about the elements outside..  It immediately took me back to my travels in Phuket and Ko Samaui and I felt warmer and drier already despite the rain still dripping from my nose. I whipped of my jacket and scarf and was shown to a seat in the corner of the restaurant.  Only a couple of other diners where in so it wasn't overly busy but the Champions League and the Scottish weather will do that to you.

Was brought a glass of water straight away without asking and was offered a towel to dry off  ( why is Thai service something we can only dream of in the UK ?! ).  Settled down and made my order and eagerly awaited my starter which promptly arrived and I didn't need asking twice before I tucked in. Spring rolls - you can't go wrong with spring rolls - my fave !! The spring rolls were accompanied with an exquisite plum sauce to which I admit I ran my finger round the sauce bowl when no one was looking after the spring rolls were gone :-)

Onto the mains and I orders a Massaman Curry accompanied with roti bread.  The Spring Rolls were good - but this was fabulous ! ... if I didn't hear the rain and the wind beating on the window outside I'd swear I was in Phuket.  Again the roti bread was run round my plate to pull up any remains of the massaman sauce - my grand father taught me that trick with a slice of bread and his favourite lentil soup and am sure I done him proud.

Finished off the evening with a banana fritter ( no pun intended ) it was the cherry on top of my cake.  A wonderful meal and the staff kept me entertained in between courses.  They are a new restaurant who opened after the festival this year.  I pointed out the obvious that it would have been better to open before the festival and the pointed out that the previous owner wanted to run the restaurant through the festival too so they could only open in September.  However, am sure they will still be around for the festival next year this was a true little gem of a restaurant and a top find down Craig's Close.

Thank you to Da and Som for a fabulous meal and look forward to visiting next time my work brings me to Edinburgh.

http://www.mauritiusblogtracker.com

No comments:

Post a Comment